Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Invisible Illness

I know I’ve promised to be better about writing but the past two months have proven to be emotionally difficult and draining while at the same time very busy with different events. I will be posting these updates individually every couple of days or so beginning next week… that will hopefully get me back into the rhythm of blogging so I can start writing about heavier subjects and simply just updating on a more regular basis.

But before I get to updating about our activities over the past two months (funerals, family reunions, bike rides, Celtic fests and county fairs), I would like to kick off September’s postings by bringing to light a subject close to my heart: invisible illnesses.

This week – September 13–19, 2010 – is recognized as National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. There are many illnesses people deal with on a daily and chronic basis that you would never know by looking at them. Invisible illnesses are those diseases or syndromes with no outwardly physical manifestation and people often suffer in silence without anyone knowing or recognizing they’re in pain. People with cancer, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, IBS or Chron’s, mental illness and, yes, even infertility. This week is also to recognize the caretakers for those who suffer these diseases as they are often impacted just as harshly.

Today, I’d like to recognize my Mom and others I know who suffer from fibromyalgia. Fibro is a syndrome characterized by chronic widespread pain, multiple specifically tender points, abnormal pain processing, sleep disturbances, fatigue and often psychological distress. Some days can be extremely manageable while other days you’re unable to move. Just having dealt with some of the pain I have to, I cannot fathom the amount of pain some fibro sufferers have to endure. Mom, you never fail to amaze me and the way you deal with your fibro is just one of the many reasons.

Tomorrow, I’ll post a meme about my own Invisible Illness.

No comments: