Monday, September 28, 2009

"Why, God?"

Oh, the eternal question "Why?" Remember my last post, my anger at the unfairness of it all and questioning God yet again?

God answered me today.

I received my latest Stepping Stones newsletter last week but never opened it to read until today. The article on page 3 of the Sept-Oct 2009 issue discusses five lessons learned while living with infertility. When discussing Job and his tribulations and how he always questioned God, the article paraphrases Job 38 (God's response to Job's question) in the following way:

"Who are you to question My wisdom? Were you there when I made the world? Who closed the gates to hold back the sea when it burst from the womb of the earth? Have you ever in all your life commanded a day to dawn? Has anyone ever shown you the gates that guard the dark world of the dead?"

Who am I? Who am I to question God and His purpose for my life?

I read Job 38 in its entirety, then read 39, 40 and continued skimming through the end of the book to see how Job would react to God's chastisement and what else God might have to say to him, what He has to say to me. Job 42 says:

1 Then Job answered the Lord and said:
2 I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be hindered.
3 I have dealt with great things that I do not understand, things too wonderful for me which I cannot know.

It goes on to say that Job repented for his ways, and

12 Thus the Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than his earlier ones.

Thank You, Lord, for hearing my plea and opening my heart to Your reply. Thank You for loving me through my tantrums. Thank You for blessing my life in ways I do not always see or feel.

May my thoughts and words continue to praise You and may my prayers continue to honor You.

No comments: