We had our meeting with the children's social worker on Friday and it's official... we will be meeting them this weekend and bringing OUR children home on March 7th! In a record-breaking, shortest ever gestation period of 3 weeks, I had this past weekend to "nest". I spent it painting the kids' bedrooms. My folks came down on Saturday and helped out tremendously. Dad muscled a bunch of boxes and stuff from our daughter's room that has been used as extra storage since we moved in. Mom and I worked for a good 3 hours or so on some wallpaper border in the boys' room before we could start painting. I still have half of a room to paint (freshening color, so it'll go fast, but this is the room I hadn't planned on painting) and trim to hang. We'll know more after this first visit how much we still need to get in order and next week will be even busier, I'm sure.
Gil spent the weekend in the workshop trying to get some furniture built that's been on our short-list of things for the house. So far, he's built two high-top tables for our game room, two end-tables and a coffee table for the living room. Tomorrow night, he'll start on the entertainment "hutch" for the living room. We have a flat screen mounted on the wall so a traditional entertainment center isn't necessary, but he's building me something similar to a dining room buffet to store our tv/dvd/stereo equipment and cubbies for our cd's and dvd's. Mm-hmm... you know all that building this week only means I get to stain and varnish next week... like I won't have enough to do already!
Tomorrow, I have a meeting with my bosses about my work schedule. We cannot afford for me to quit working or even go part-time at this point (or ever, maybe). But during this first year (give or take a month), we really need to have a constant presence in our children's lives because of the nature of adopting older children. We don't want to out-source our child care at this point and really want to have as much quality bonding time with them as possible. So... many prayers that this meeting will go well and I'll be able to optimize my time with the kids during their "awake" time.
The Real World is NOT What They Said
12 years ago


1 comment:
". . . our children." Has a nice ring coming from you. :)
Post a Comment