Friday, July 18, 2008

Back to Good

Karma is definitely back to her old (but very young) self. We could already see a dramatic improvement by Wednesday but by Thursday, she took off after Mojo with a vengeance... to make up for two lost days, I think! I'm no longer giving her the anti-diarrheal stuff as we're not getting very much out of her in the way of bowel movements... we're getting at least a daily small amount so we're not too worried. She's still taking the metronidazole for protozoan (single cell) parasites and she finished the panacur, which is for hook/roundworms. Of course, those meds were prescribed and started without a diagnosis of what we were needing to treat. I just received a call from our vet this morning because Karma's fecal study came back. She has coccidia, a protozoan parasite transmitted through the feces. Puppies love to eat feces. Coccidia has a 13 day incubation period and I tracked her date of parasite transmission back to July 2nd... that was our last day of puppy kindergarten. She had been running free in their big yard out there where lots of other dogs get to run and, most likely, go to the bathroom. She had even found a shed snake skin there once that she tried eating before I (completely grossed out) took it away from her. So I'm guessing she just got hold of some scat while playing out there. I will pick up her new prescription when I go to meet Gil for lunch. I'm just so glad that she's back to normal. Tuesday was such a stressful day for us thinking that there was a chance we could lose her. She's always been a lover dog, crazy for attention, but we both think this scared her, too, as she's been pretty clingy since we got back from the vet. She's still tearing off after Mojo and Arrow but will run back toward her mama quite frequently when it's playtime in the backyard and is always underfoot when we're in the house. Gil would tell you that I don't mind that one bit! However, I think Mojo minds... it means less attention for him!

I've been seriously contemplating starting to scrapbook digitally over the past month or so rather than the old-fashioned way, getting out all the paper, stickers, scissors, adhesive, etc. I seem to be using my MacBook more and more for everything and this way, I could scrapbook while sitting on the couch watching tv with my husband. I'm partial to Creative Memories when it comes to scrapbooking so I started looking at their digital scrapbooking software. It's not real compatible with Macs so I had to start searching for Mac software. iRemember is Mac's version for digital scrapbooking and they have a free 15 day trial period so I downloaded it. Here is my first attempt at a digital scrapbook page... I think I'm going to like it!
The cool thing about going digital is that I could either upload my pages one by one to photo printers like Costco and have them print out my 12x12 pages and then insert them into sleeves in my own scrapbook OR I could have a book printed and bound with the pages I've created. I think I'm going to try out a scrapbook of the dogs (to include all dogs... Black Devil, Sassy, and Hiawatha as well as the three we still have) first before doing a whole bunch of other pictures, like my engagement and wedding pictures.

UPDATE, 1:20 pm: After I wrote this, shut off the 'puter, and went outside to get the dogs put away so I could go meet Gil for lunch, I noticed Karma left a big pile of her regular sized "scat" (I say scat because I don't like the "p" word!). She got all kinds of congratulations and belly rubs for having a good movement! YAY!

1 comment:

Terry Orr said...

Sis,
You are so funny -- you never did like to say the "P" word!

Congrats to Karma, on the return to good health.

The Creative Memories page looks so awesome, and you truly have the talent. Love you lots,
Mom