Today, after waking up sick and in pain and taking the day off from work, I kept a previously scheduled appointment with an endocrinologist. I haven't seen one since the first year after my initial diagnosis of PCOS. When I moved, my new insurance wouldn't cover the visits to my old endocrinologist so he told me that my normal GYN could manage the care. I don't think it's been managed all that well...
Metformin treatment is common for women with PCOS and a standard dose is 2000-2500 mg/day. My GYN reduced my met to 1500/day. Then, 2 years ago, she took me off it completely because it wasn't aiding in ovulation. She's been saying my testosterone is fine and within normal limits. She's been saying my thyroid is normal. Of course they're normal, if they fall within an "acceptable" range and you're not looking for patterns from a hormonal standpoint.
I've been wanting to re-establish with an endocrinologist for awhile now, at least the past year. I figure, whether I ever get pregnant or not, I will still have PCOS... and that needs to be addressed. Today, Dr. F was awesome. She essentially took my life's history, all my symptoms that led up the diagnosis of PCOS and what's been done since. When she looked at my labs and ultrasound from the past couple of years and then did her exam, she said I was a very classic case of PCOS. Because I have practically all the symptoms that comprise the syndrome of PCO, she kept looking at my hair, amazed that I don't have any evidence of alopecia (male pattern baldness or hair loss in women). I have to say, I do have a very full head of hair!
Dr. F said that even though my thyroid and testosterone have fallen within "normal" levels for the past few years, they're still showing a pattern of abnormality. My thyroid is still acting like it's hypo (I took synthroid for 4 years in my early 20's before my hypothyroidism "cured" itself) but it's likely just another symptom of the PCOS and will hopefully return to a real normal once my insulin and testosterone reduce. Weight loss - of course - is the best way I can attack those hormones.
She really stressed the low-carb diet (the low GI falls into that category) and exercise. But I'm also going to restart the metformin. Thankfully, she only prescribes the extended release form which is way, way easier on my stomach. I go back to see her in 3 months and we'll re-assess my testosterone. If the metformin isn't working the way she expects it to, we'll add Actose to the mix.
So that's where we're at with that. I have to say I'm glad I made this appt. My GYN is fabulous and I love her, but I needed a different specialist to address this issue separately from the infertility.
The Real World is NOT What They Said
12 years ago


1 comment:
Oh, thank God.
Post a Comment