An "old" buddy from kindergarten through high school was here this past weekend for their annual family reunion. I haven't seen H in about 7 years, I'm guessing, and probably haven't had a chance to truly visit in about 10 or more. So much has happened in both our lives since then and it was a real treat to be able to see her Saturday.
We started off with a pancake breakfast at another friend's house. It was a fun time just hanging out while A slaved away in the kitchen flipping cakes and frying bacon. The kids were running around crazy; A&S have 2 and H has 3 and there were 2 tricycles in the house, another outside as well as 4 kittens, dress-up clothes and kiddy cosmetics... make of it what you will. I'm so glad I can still enjoy others' children through the pain of not having any of my own. It was noisy and chaotic and awesome.
After breakfast, we went to the parade (see previous post for pictures). All was done and over within an hour so Gil and I rushed home to start our chores... he wanted to get a luggage rack fabricated for the Jeep to go over the spare tire before the madness of moving takes away all our free time. I had laundry to do as Sunday we'd be on the road and Monday Gil would leave for the week for work and Tuesday I'd also be out of town. I got a couple loads through and decided to skip out and leave Gil in the garage while I stole mom to go over and crash H's family reunion, where she'd invited us to come try out tie dying (is it still considered "crashing" when you're invited?!). Mom and I were only gone 2 hours but it seemed like so much more. It was a great way to spend a sweaty hot July afternoon... Mom practically grew up in H's family (the generation older than us, of course) so it was good for her to see everyone again, and I felt like we were right back in school again being around H's family... except for the fact that everyone who used to be kids had their own little kids running around (except me, of course).
I don't know why I've never tried tie dying before... it was all the rage while we were in junior and high school and then the fad kinda faded. I get flack from my brother that it's the stuff of hippies and tree huggers, but who cares?! I love it! And now, thanks to H, I'm even considering getting my own kit and hosting my own tie dye parties.
notice not a single drop of pink!
Thanks, H, I had a fabulous day! Not just 'cause I've renewed life in 2 of my dingy ol' shirts, but 'cause I got to see you again and catch up in a way that computers can't compare.
PS - A note to H's dad, who informed me he occasionally checks on me via my blog: You brew a really mean (that means good) beer! Yummy stuff!
PS - A note to H's dad, who informed me he occasionally checks on me via my blog: You brew a really mean (that means good) beer! Yummy stuff!


No comments:
Post a Comment