Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lamenting in Faith

Here's my choice for today's scripture: Lamentations 3: 31-33

For the Lord's rejection does not last forever;
Though He punishes, He takes pity, in the abundance of His mercies;
He has no joy in afflicting or grieving the sons of men.

This translation is from The New American Bible, commonly used by Catholics and is the Bible of choice on the USCCB's website. However, I'm not sure I like the literal feeling behind the word "punishes". So here's another translation...

For men are not cast off by the Lord forever.
Though He brings grief, He will show compassion, so great is His unfailing love.
For He does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men.

I'm not feeling a lot of compassion right now but I'm faithful and hopeful that it'll come. I know He has a plan for my life, for our lives, and I'm trying to trust in my faith that the plan will be great and perfect. Still... infertility sucks.


(The particular Bible source is not referenced for the second translation but was found on I Lift My Eyes Ministries.)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I've been thinking about this. And I can't help but think of Paul and all he went through and his thorn, as he called it. And how God used Paul to do mighty things. He didn't take Paul's thorn, but I hope he takes yours and uses it to do mighty things. Love you girlfriend. Gonna call you. :)