Sunday, October 19, 2008

I like... Memes.

A meme (pronounced to rhyme with “dream”) is, by definition, any idea or behavior that can pass from one person to another by learning or imitation, transmitted in repetition. In the blog or email world, memes are typically a list of questions that you answer then someone else sees them and answers the same questions from their own perspective.

I admit that I love memes. I especially like ones that allow you to admit something that would not otherwise come up in normal conversation. You can learn fun, previously unknown – or unsuspected! – things about friends. Or, like the one I filled out below, you can delve deeper into yourself to discover what you truly want or feel about the world and your place in it. Then again, I tend to believe that I struggle to initiate thought or conversation without having some thing to jumpstart it for me.

The meme I filled out below is one that I found on a friend’s blog. I’ve already warned her that I was going to “steal” it and fill it out for myself. Thanks, Renae!

I AM...

> I am... a child of God and a blessing to others.
> I want... to believe, with my whole self, the above statement.
> I wish... upon falling stars... but I’ve only seen a handful in all my many years.
> I hate... injustice.
> I miss... the energy I had in my late twenties.
> I fear... that I’ll never be able to offer up my desire to become pregnant.
> I feel... tired.... all the time.
> I hear... music in the ordinary.
> I smell... fresh baked chocolate chip cookies even though it’s all in my head.
> I crave... chocolate...all the time.
> I search... for my meaning and purpose in this life.
> I wonder... why? The greatest unanswered question of all time.
> I regret... nothing. I would not be who and where I am with regrets.
> I love... with my whole being.
> I care... about how others think of me.
> I ache... more than I should at 33... I should think this is how 83 will feel.
> I always... cry when watching Steel Magnolias.
> I am not... as weak as I often feel I am.
> I believe... in a God who’s greater than all of this.
> I dance... shamelessly and recklessly in the privacy of my own kitchen with my mp3 blaring in my ears.
> I sing... loud and proud... unless others are listening!
> I cry... over dreams lost, never to be realized.
> I don’t always... listen for what God may have to say through the ache in my heart.
> I fight... for those I love.
> I write... not often enough to those who mean the most to me.
> I never... thought that marriage would be so blessedly good.
> I listen... or try to listen, to the feelings behind the words.
> I need... the quiet of a good book as much as I need loud music.
> I am happy... right now.

Wow! This was a lot more difficult that I would have expected prior to starting it. I challenge you to think of your own endings to these “I” statements.

No comments: