Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Day of Advent

I can't believe November is over already. I can't believe this holiday weekend is over already. My parents are packing as I write this. We're going to have breakfast and then they'll take off to go home. We had a good weekend, though.

Thanksgiving dinner was nice, quiet, and extremely filling. I made a yummy dinner... well, mom and I made a yummy dinner; can't keep that woman out of the kitchen but I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy being in the kitchen working with her, just the two of us. And working in the kitchen for a big feast such as we made was oh-so-nice in the new kitchen! I can't believe how much just changing the location of one appliance can make it so much easier! Gil's family came over and we had a good time eating and visiting.

Mom came down sick Thanksgiving night so we decided to give up our early bird Bla.ck Friday shopping. Poor thing was laid up with a blanket and taking drugs all day Friday. Gil and I went out about 10:00 that morning and still hit some good sales. I have over half my shopping done for Christmas so it was successful.

I also got myself a book that I was waiting for, just released in print on Friday... the third in the Sign of Seven trilogy by No.ra Robe.rts. I won't let myself read it just yet, though... I have to study for an exam... a 5 hour credentialing exam that's only 2 weeks away! Yikes. I've barely opened my study guide so I need to buckle down. I guess it's so hard they offer one free re-take in the application cost.

We did just a few things on Saturday. Mom and I got in a couple hours of shopping; she wanted to see a new store that just opened up here 2 months ago. Gil's uncle wanted to make dinner for everyone so we had an early supper of lasagna. Then we all went to Mass, which is the true start to Advent. We came home and I put out the decorations and dressed up the Christmas tree. Dad says I have a lot of stuff but putting everything out just makes me think of all the things I still wish to get to spruce up the living room even more. I also want to start taking Christmas into other rooms of the house, like the bathroom. It's nice having everything up, though... I had bought some new things last year but forgot about them because we didn't decorate due to the kitchen remodel. The best thing I discovered from last year's purchases is my new stable, um, "creche" for my Holy Family. It's gorgeous!

So Happy Advent! We now await the arrival of our King!

No comments: